PRESIDENT LUNGU ASSURES FOREIGNERS OF SAFETY

Reverend-Godfridah-Sumaili
SUMAILI TOLD TO APOLOGIZE FOR BLASPHEMY
November 19, 2018
#2
CITIZENS URGED TO MAINTAIN INSURANCE AMID ECONOMIC CHALLENGES
November 20, 2018

PRESIDENT LUNGU ASSURES FOREIGNERS OF SAFETY

14572347_1680391432274280_291920642283178169_n-e1477399022655

 

State house has revealed that President Edgar Lungu, has recieved with sadness the messege of complaint from the Chinese Government on the Xenophobic attacks being targeted at Chinese Nationals owing to wreckless statements from certain political circles in Zambia.

Special Assistant to the President for Press and Public Relations, Amos Chanda has said that President Lungu has reassured the Chinese Government, that his primary responsibility as Head of State is to protect the lives and property of every individual resident in Zambia, be it locals or foreign nationals.

Mr Chanda said that President Lungu said this when the Chinese Ambassador to Zambia, Mr Li Jie, acting as an envoy of the President of China, Mr Xi Jinpin, delivered a messege of good will to President Lungu for his 62nd birthday.

Mr Chanda said that Ambassador Li Jie also took time to deliver a message of complaint and regret from the Chinese government, that China felt completely let down by the Xenophobic attacks on Chinese Nationals living in Zambia and expressed sorrow that it was owing to unfounded and false statements from some sections of the opposition alleging that China had bought Zambia’s State owned enterprises such as ZESCO, ZNBC and ZAFFICO among others.

He stated that whilst Chinese in Zambia, where doing different kinds of businesses and work, it was totally wrong for them to be targets of Xenophobic attacks on basis of falsehoods.

He explained that the Chinese where sadly being targeted at a time when Zambia’s relationship with China is at the highest point in history compared only to the time when President Kaunda was in office.

Ambassador Li Jie further revealed that a deproportionately high number of Chinese nationals, had taken long vacations to try and see if the situation will be brought under control. He stated that some had scaled down their operations in the nation whilst others had literally closed their businesses.

And Mr Chanda stated that owing to the Xenophobic attacks and the many overwhelming queries from the international media, the Chinese Government felt that they had to put on record their displeasure and disappointment that Zambia which is primed as the best Chinese destination in the world for investment and settlement could record such regrettable developments.

He stated that the Chinese government was however grateful for President Lungu’s quick and decisive action to protect the Chinese that had been attacked in kitwe, on the Copperbelt.

Mr Chanda told a media briefing that President Lungu also expressed gratitude that the Chinese government had taken note of the steps the Zambian government had taken to ensure the violence was stopped immediately and that it did not spill over to other parts of the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *